Kosterina Kitchen: "Macaronia me Kima"
Kosterina recipes are meant to be simple and are tailored to busy families and working professionals who want to eat healthy at home. One of our favorite dishes in the Kosterina family is "Makaronia me Kima" -- the Greek version of spaghetti bolognese. We make it with whole wheat spaghetti and lean, organic, hormone-free chopped beef. Give it a try and tell us what you think!
Sign up for our newsletter & Recipe Blog here. You'll also be the first to know about special offers on Kosterina Olive Oil.
3 tbsp olive oil
1 lb ground beef
1/3 cup chopped onions
2 tsp red wine vinegar (or ¼ cup red wine)
2 fresh tomatoes, chopped small
1 tsp dried mint
2 cloves of minced garlic (optional)
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp Cinnamon
Whole wheat spaghetti
1. In a large sautee pan over medium heat, add olive oil and sauté chopped onions until they start to become translucent. Then add minced garlic and sauté for two more minutes.
2. Add ground beef and begin to break it up with a spatula by positioning it vertically (or perpendicular) to the pan. Turn meat until all sides are lightly browned.
3. Add red wine vinegar, parsley, mint, cinnamon and oregano and mix thoroughly.
4. Lower the heat and simmer for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Prepare the spaghetti as per package instructions and serve pasta with meat sauce on top and cheese on the side.